Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Burlap Lampshades.

I have been in need of lamps at my office. I detest fluorescent lighting and decided it was time to finally cross out one of my many "to-dos" and give my lamps a makeover. I found this pair at Good Finds {on S. Adams for you Tallahassee locals}. I love the burlap/seagrass/linen look and I thought I would try my best to recover these lampshades.


I bought some burlap at Joann's and took out my trusty glue gun and went to work. I was not able to take pictures of the process, but I simply started at the top and laid glue every 2-3 inches and stretched the burlap over the glue. I pressed it down around 10 seconds and repeated the whole process until they were complete.
S-I-M-P-L-E.

I wanted to keep them in the guestroom after their makeover was complete, but I spend so much time in this office I thought I shouldn't deprive my workplace of style!

***A little hint- They do not allow much light to pass through. Perhaps if I removed the original shade before I recovered the 1st one they would illuminate more brightly, but the picture below is pretty accurate to show the amount of light that passes through.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Those look great!!
I've been wanting to re-cover a lampshade that is in my guest bedroom, but the shade is pleated... do you think that would work, or should I get a flat shade? Any advice?

Whimsy World said...

great job!!!

Donna said...

These look amazing!!! Great job!

Design Actually said...

They look great, I may have to steal that idea!

paula said...

what a huge difference. they look gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

you are one phenomenal designer and teacher.