Friday, January 14, 2011

Book Review.

Drop everything you are doing and order The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I feel very strongly about my recommendation and our book club agrees.

If you haven't picked up a book in awhile, this is where you should start.

It's historical fiction. You will learn other perspectives during WWII, you will fall in love with some characters that unfortunately do not exist, you will laugh out loud, you will shed some tears and you will be sad when you finish the book. Not because the there is an unfortunate ending, but because it's over.

{at least that's was my response to the book}

The book stirred our collective imaginitaion and made us want to visit Guernsey.

I wanted to make a potato peel pie for the evening, but after reading the ingredients, I knew only Buster would touch it.

Instead, I replicated this dark chocolate and strawberry galette from Shared Sugar.

image from Shared Sugar.


Did you read it? Do you have any recommendations for me to read?

Have a wonderful MLK weekend.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

My mom read it a little while ago and it's been sitting in a pile of books that I need to read. Will read it soon!

As for other books, I just finished The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova and enjoyed it. The Forgotten Garden is also a really good book.

emily/thesearethedays said...

Third great review I've heard on that book! I will add it to my list.

Sugar Bump said...

I've been looking for a new book for the longest time! Glad you posted this, I've ordered it from Amazon… I'm pretty excited!

If you haven't read the Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers i HIGHLY recommend it! It's incredible!!

laura @ so alaurable said...

I loved it too! I found all of the characters very charming.

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

I've been eyeing that one but I think your recommendation will actually make me pick it up!

Have you read "The Room: A Novel" by Emma Donaghue? Mesmerizing stuff. It's from the perspective of a 5yo boy who has, for his entire life, been locked in a room with his mother. He anthropomorphizes everything. But as he turns 5, he begins asking questions and then things start to fall apart. It's totally riveting and a good book club read!

Caiti said...

Such a fabulous book! We read it in my book club last spring, and I made my own rendition of potato peel pie - Finnish pastie...(more like a meat pie, but it has potatoes!) We had such a great time with it & I'm glad to see you did too!

Caroline said...

If you have not read it yet...."The Help" is one of my all time faves! Also...a series of short novels about an Irish Family in the 1960s starting with "The Mammy" is a good quick read as well.

ASB said...

We read "Sarah's Key" in October for our book club and it was incredible. Also highly recommend "The School of Essential Ingredients" it'll make you want to be in the kitchen!