Thursday, April 19, 2012

His Birth Story.

I always feel completely inadequate with my words, but I'll give it my best shot to recap Reid's birth day.

8:30 am- On Monday, April 2, I went for my weekly check-up with my doctor. I had an ultrasound because the doctor was under the impression that Reid was a very small baby. She had a hard time getting a decent measurement of him during the previous visits and it seemed like his growth might have slowed down. She said "no reason to worry, but let's take a closer look". I wasn't concerned, I knew he was growing because I was growing in size and discomfort. The ultrasound predicted he was 7 lbs, 9 ounces with a due date of April 13th. I had to keep myself from crying when they said the expected due date, which was pushed back 10 days from my original date. I was in a lot of discomfort during the last month and I was trying everything to get him to come a little early.

The doctor said I was 4 cm dilated the amniotic fluid was a 7 (on a scale of 1-10, if it got to a 5, then they would be worried), so she asked if I wanted to deliver him today. I happily replied, "let's do this" and resisted the urge to kiss her. She sent me home to pack my bag and pick up my husband.

10:30 am- Tony and I arrived at the hospital and we prayed together in the car before checking in. Once we checked into the hospital, we were immediately taken to our delivery room.

11:30 am- I was hooked up to an IV, pitocin, a heart rate monitor, a contraction monitor and a baby monitor. We made calls to our family and friends and let them know what was going on. For 6 hours, the nurses increased the pitocin every 30 mins.

5:00pm- I was measured again, only five cm dilated. This was a disappointment to me, I was hoping for an eight. I asked how we could speed this process up and they recommended breaking my water. It was my plan all along to get an epidural. At this point, I was feeling awesome, and honestly thought this labor might be a lot easier than I anticipated. I heard too many horror stories where women wait too long to get the epidural and then they can't have it. I did not want that to be the scenario for me, so the nurse recommended the epidural before the doc broke the water.

5:30pm- Epidural is administered. People say this feels like a bee sting, and I must say a bee sting feels worse. Nothing to fear. I felt relief in my back for the first time in 6 weeks and experienced the sensation when your body feels like it's sinking inside itself.

5:45pm- Doctor came in to break water, again, pain free.

6:00ish- Tony's parents arrived, my parents arrived shortly after. Pitocin in increased and I am starting to shake uncontrollably.

8:30pm- Pain has really kicked in. I began to feel every contraction and started crying. The doctor came in to look at me and when he saw me crying, even though I tried my best not to, he recommended the anesthesiologist come back to access the epidural. More medicine was administered. Tony then kicked the family out of the room and he helped me concentrate on my breathing.
The next 5 hours became increasingly hard. I felt every contraction, but progress was being made. At some point I started hyperventilating and they gave me oxygen to calm me down. Tony was by far the most helpful person in the room. He simply told me to breath in and breath out. Without hearing him tell me this, I would shake uncontrollably and forget how to breath.

12:45 am- Anesthesiologist came back and gave me more medicine. I am 9 cm dilated at this point and still, I feel every contraction and not much affect from the medicine. This whole epidural turns out to be a huge disappointment to me. I heard stories of women that slept through contractions and did not realize they were happening without looking at the monitor, this was not the case for me. At this point I was thinking Reid will be an only child, then I thought I'll have another only if I can have a scheduled C-Section at 38 weeks. Then I cursed Eve for eating the apple and giving us this punishment. The nurse was trying to distract me by asking what beverage I wanted when he arrived. I requested the biggest cup of water they could find and some OJ. She also told us the steps they would take when he arrived and about the other babies being delivered that night.

1:45 am- Doctor gave the okay to start pushing. FINALLY, I had something to do. This was tough work, we all waited for a contraction and then I had to push for 10 seconds, take a quick breath and repeat this push two more times. This went on for 1 hour and 41 mins. Reid did-not-want-to-come-out, but finally I rallied when the nursery nurses {the ones that measured him, bathed him, etc...} came. There were six people cheering for me to keep at it and...

3:19 am- He arrived with a cry. We all cried. 10 fingers, 10 toes, alert eyes and big luscious lips.
Apart from having such a precious, healthy little boy, the day with Tony was the most wonderful experience for me. He was helpful, beyond my expectations, and I am convinced I could not have done this without him. I am so glad to be raising this sweet child with him. We thank God for this sweet gift he's given us.

*They spelled his middle name wrong on the photo above
**I had no concept of time during the day. Everything went by faster than I remembered {for those of you that I might have scared off}
***I still would not have done this any other way. I am glad we did not have to wait another day to meet little Reid.


Kristin | o.m.Gee! said...

what a beautiful miracle! precious life. and beautiful momma...congratulations : ) thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

how lovely, congrats Ashley! so happy for you and Tony :)

Julie said...

Thank you for sharing your story! It bring tears to my eyes and makes me think back to those crazy but awesome times:) Enjoy your little guy and try to rest!

paula said...

You got me all tears eyed. I felt the pain too. Would do it a million times over. Of course I say that 5 years later ;)

Sara Mueller said...

congratulations! I am six weeks away and I can't wait to have this baby.

Allison Guest said...

CONGRATULATIONS Ashley!! He is precious and you did great :) I remember feeling the exact same way as you in that this was going to be my only child due to a number of intolerable things, lol... But there's nothing better than holding your little man for first time! I hope that you are feeling good and recovered and also getting some sleep :)

JuliAnne Kelly said...

Congrats on your adorable little boy! I wanted to let you know I recognized you for the Leibster award on my blog. I know you are over 200 readers, but you are one of my favorite reads. :)

Emily said...

Ashley, what a wonderful story. I am wiping tears away right now, and I am so happy for you!

Beth said...

Ash--this was beautiful. I suck at reading blogs these days, but I had an itch to catch up on Smitten. Glad I did--the birth story was worth it! You are one amazing mama. To that beautiful baby: get ready sweet boy--you have no idea how good you have it! xo dear friend.

pve design said...

Congratulations to you Ashley!
Hope the little artwork I did for you of Buster arrived and makes it happily in the nursery.

Lindsay said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! I've just recently found your blog and have loved going through all of your posts and learning about you guys and seeing your beautiful work! This story had me in tears...I felt silly since I don't even know you guys, but I guess women can relate on this stuff :) Congrats on beautiful Reid!!!!