Monday, August 10, 2009

Book Review.

I was so dang smitten with our visit to Chicago {particularly the walking tour} earlier this summer that I wanted to learn more. I heard several people recommend reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

In short this non-fiction book followed two men:

Their fates were linked by the magical Chicago World’s Fair of 1893, nicknamed the “White City” for its majestic beauty. Architect Daniel Burnham built it; serial killer Dr. H. H. Holmes used it to lure victims to his World’s Fair Hotel, designed for murder. Both men left behind them a powerful legacy, one of brilliance and energy, the other of sorrow and darkness.

The World’s Fair introduced America to such classic favorites as Cracker Jack, Shredded Wheat and Juicy Fruit. It was the birth of historically significant symbols like Columbus Day, the Ferris Wheel, and the Pledge of Allegiance.
I'm glad that I read this book. For me, it wasn't a "page-turner-I-have-to-stay-up-all-night-to-finish-it" kind of book. The serial killer plot was both intriguing and disturbing, yet easy to read. The architect/planning plot sometimes dragged on but I can appreciate it.
I'm not going to urge you to go out and get a copy immediately, but if you read it you will be surprised by the amount of American history that is steeped throughout the pages and enjoy yourself.
My favorite quote came from the head architect of the Fair, Daniel Burnham:
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood"
.........
If you do not have time to read this book yet still have an appreciation for Chicago {and reality tv} you should tune into Giuliana & Bill on the style network. Their home in Chicago is to die for and they seem like such a real couple- ya know what i mean? click here!

1 comment:

Sugar Bump said...

Brian read this book and LOVED it! It's next on my list of books!